Title: Solutions Architect
Position Type: Full-Time
What we do and offer our team
AGU is a global community of 130,000 Earth and space scientists, advocates and experts. As the Solutions Architect, you will be part of a dynamic association that digitally publishes peer-reviewed journals and scientific books and convenes the largest physical and virtual Earth and space science meeting in the world. Through our initiatives, such as mentoring, professional development and awards, AGU upholds and fosters an inclusive and diverse scientific community.
AGU offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Solutions Architect does
The Solutions Architect serves to design and create digital interfaces between AGU and external partners, implementing the organization’s goals to bridge discovery and solutions science by being more collaborative, in order to contribute to a better future for people and the planet.
The Solutions Architect will work with the Director, Business Data & Intelligence, the Director, Digital Products, the Digital Innovation team, outside developers and other AGU staff to analyze and administer existing digital interfaces, understand partnership goals and design new APIs and interfaces that deliver upon these goals.
This position reports to the Chief Digital Officer (CDO).
* Supports existing data interfaces between AGU and its partners, inclusive of relationships that further AGU’s publishing and meetings goals, as well as other programs that are data intensive and require an ecosystem of digital interactions to accomplish their goals.
* Makes recommendations for improvements to those interfaces and platform ecosystems
* Develops testing strategies & automation to ensure expected function of APIs.
* Identifies needs for APIs and designs those that can scale to support future growth, provide security and make their purpose clear to potential users.
* Creates consistency across the API portfolio with secure and maintainable interfaces.
* Maintains the health of the API portfolio by monitoring its utilization, errors and adherence to its own specification and other standards
* Creates and maintains a technology roadmap for future APIs, setting best practices, standards and metrics for use.
* Collaborates with development teams to set technical direction and approach for API design and implementation.
* Advocates for the utilization of the APIs to drive business value and outcomes by serving as an advocate, a trainer, and an evangelist for the seamless interchange of data across AGU partnerships.
* Other duties as assigned.
What the Solutions Architect brings to the team
* 5+ years of software development experience focusing on developing and supporting APIs with a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Sciences and/or Technology; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Experience with data formats such as JSON & XML, software models such as microservices, RESTful techniques and CI/CD tools.
* Experience architecting API portfolios.
* Ability to translate technical information to non-technical terms, both verbally and in written format.
* Strong customer service orientation, problem management, user requirements analysis and process, and diagnostic questioning techniques.
* Patience and diplomacy when dealing with customers, both internal and external is required.
* High degree of professionalism and accuracy.
* Working knowledge of programming languages such as perl and Python; database programming and RDBMS such as MySQL, SQL Server and PostgreSQL.
* Strong attention to detail.
* Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
* Ability to work independently and collaboratively with staff, co-workers, members, and vendors.
* Demonstrated discretion on confidential matters.
* Ability to travel.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.