Senior Benefits and HRIS Specialist
Senior Benefits and HRIS Specialist
Title: Senior Benefits and HRIS Specialist
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
American Geophysical Union (AGU) supports 130,000 enthusiasts to experts worldwide in Earth and space sciences. Through broad and inclusive partnerships, AGU aims to advance discovery and solution science that accelerate knowledge and create solutions that are ethical, unbiased and respectful of communities and their values. Our programs include serving as a scholarly publisher, convening virtual and in-person events and providing career support. We live our values in everything we do, such as our net zero energy renovated building in Washington, D.C. and our Ethics and Equity Center, which fosters a diverse and inclusive geoscience community to ensure responsible conduct.
As the Senior Benefits and HRIS Specialist, you will be part of this dynamic association that offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Senior Benefits and HRIS Specialist does
The Sr. Benefits & HRIS Specialist is key in assisting AGU to support and inspire a global community of individuals and organizations interested in advancing discovery in Earth and space sciences and its benefit for humanity and the environment, by being operational in focus.
The incumbent in this role will be responsible for administering the day-to-day operations of all AGU group benefits programs and HRIS, providing analytical and technical support in the delivery of these programs and systems, as well as managing benefit administration activities, vendors, invoicing and reporting, and related regulatory and compliance efforts.
Reporting to the Director, Human Resources, the Sr. Benefits & HRIS Specialist will serve as a key liaison to AGU staff, vendors, and customers for all benefits and HRIS related matters.
* Administers AGU health and welfare plans, including enrollments and terminations. Processes required documents through payroll and insurance providers to ensure accurate record keeping and proper deductions.
* Communicates with employees regarding benefits; responds to employees and/or former employee inquires, providing guidance and assistance as needed.
* Plans, prepares, and executes AGU’s annual benefits open enrollment.
* Manages and processes all leaves of absences including FMLA/DC PFL, non-FMLA leave, Military, Worker’s Compensation and personal leaves.
* Provides reports and/or audits to align human capital with AGU’s business strategic goals; these may include benefit, compliance, workforce, and other HR metrics.
* Monitors, reviews, and reconciles benefits-related invoices. Conducts monthly audit of invoices.
* Ensures AGU HRIS is optimally configured, maintained, and utilized to align with stakeholder and business needs. Updates and maintains employee data in the HRIS and vendor portals.
* Serves as primary contact for plan vendors and third-party administrators. Facilitates relationships between stakeholders and vendors related to benefits and HRIS.
* Maintains employee personnel, retirement, and benefits files in accordance with organizational policies and government regulations.
* Maintain up to date and accurate plan documents, summary plan descriptions and other required notices; ensure they are distributed to team members in a timely manner.
* Establishes and maintains benefits-related standard operating processes and procedures (SOPs).
* Creates, reviews, and/or analyzes employee surveys to ensure maximum use of benefits.
* Supports payroll function on a semi-monthly basis and works closely with the Finance team (e.g. payroll, accounts receivable, accounts payable) to ensure timely and accurate benefits administration.
* Manages benefits carriers, vendors, and brokers.
* Works closely with and assists HR team on HR-related tasks, including onboarding, open enrollment, process improvement, and programs such as wellness and training.
* Ensures compliance of benefits programs, utilizing knowledge of benefits legislation (COBRA, FMLA, HIPAA, PPACA, ADA, other) by staying up to date on rules and regulations impacting benefits programs; works with internal and external customers to ensure regulatory compliance, including completing necessary reporting, testing, participant notice review and distribution, and other required changes necessary for adherence to regulation.
* Informs Director, Human Resources of any changes in benefits and related legislation that affect AGU employees.
* Ensures all benefits plan filings and audits (i.e. Form 5500s) are performed in a timely and accurate manner to maintain plan qualification and governmental compliance.
* Other duties as assigned.
What the Senior Benefits and HRIS Specialist brings to the team
* 5+ years with BS/BA, with at least 3 years of experience in benefits or related benefits administration.
* Knowledge of HRIS is a must; UltiPro experience is strongly preffered.
* Knowledge of all pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, both adopted and pending, affecting employee benefits programs including ERISA, ACA, COBRA, FMLA, DC PFL, ADA, Section 125, workers compensation, Medicare, and Social Security, HIPPA and DOL requirements.
* Knowledge of Payroll is a plus.
* Experience managing Open Enrollment process is required.
* Experience with data analysis and strong math and statistics skills is a plus.
* Benefits certification preferred (i.e. CEBS, PHR).
* Team oriented with ability to work across all levels of the organization.
* Ability to identify and analyze problems, generate solutions, and implement recommendations.
* Strong organization skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
* Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and to balance competing priorities.
* Excellent oral and written communication with all levels of the organization.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including advanced Excel and Word skills.
* Ability to perform responsibilities in a high-quality manner, exercising sound judgment.
* Ability to perform responsibilities with composure under the stress of deadlines.
* Superb customer service and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and exercise the highest level of discretion.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.