Program Manager, Science & Data
Title: Program Manager, Science & Data
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
AGU is a global community of 130,000 Earth and space scientists, advocates and experts. As the Program Manager, Science & Data, you will support a dynamic association that publishes peer-reviewed journals and scientific books and convenes the largest Earth and space science meeting in the world. Through our initiatives, such as mentoring, professional development and awards, AGU upholds and fosters an inclusive and diverse scientific community.
AGU offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Program Manager, Science & Data does
The Program Manager position is key in assisting AGU to promote discovery in Earth and Space science for the benefit of humanity by being strategic and operational in focus. The primary purpose of this role is to support our key projects and grant activity. The Program Manager ensures ongoing monitoring of the established schedule and key activities and deliverables to successfully meet the project objectives aligned with AGU’s strategic goals and operating plan.
This is a five-year term position and is part of the statement of work associated with the partnership agreement.
- Supports planning and implementation of projects specifically under AGU’s Data Leadership team.
- Facilitates scope definition, goals, and deliverables.
- Defines tasks and resource requirements.
- Develops and updates project plans.
- Tracks project deliverables.
- Works with project team to ensure quality assurance.
- Constantly monitors and reports on progress to stakeholders.
- Manages internal and external stakeholders.
- Supports documentation of all aspects of a project.
- Supports reports defining project progress, problems, and solutions.
- Contributes to lessons learned, assesses results, and evaluates project.
- Works to coordinate activities and awareness with other AGU efforts.
- Helps develop tangible deliverables and outcomes of initiatives and grant work.
- Helps Data Leadership meet key outcomes related to operating plan.
- Other duties as assigned.
What the Program Manager, Science & Data brings to the team
Must be able to represent AGU’s organizational culture of honesty and transparency in operations
- 2+ years of experience in scientific research/project management/data management with an Earth and space science related Master’s Degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to influence and lead.
- Demonstrated initiative and a proactive approach to tasks.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment: juggle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Must be detail oriented.
- Ability to handle complex technical information and prioritize assignments, set goals, and work independently as well as in a group.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and customer service skills (with a high degree of diplomacy) are essential, as is excellent follow-through on tasks.
- High degree of professionalism and accuracy.
- Demonstrated discretion on confidential matters.
- Excellent critical thinking and problems-solving skills.
- Overall knowledge of and experience in project management
- Demonstrated experience with a wide variety of communications software.
- Knowledge of current open science initiatives, especially in the Earth and space sciences.
- Experience working in a membership organization environment is preferred
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to communicate easily and effectively with both international and domestic members as well as AGU staff and leaders, in public and private settings.
- Strong proofing and editing skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, as well as attention to detail and ability to manage complex logistics.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft suite of products, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word; experience with WordPress, HTML, and Photoshop is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience in meetings digital applications is strongly preferred.
- Ability to adapt and support new and changing technologies.
- Excellent facility with numbers; ability to prepare budgets and financial projections is required.
- Ability to negotiate positive results with the ability to work independently to achieve expected results is required.
- Highly motivated with the ability to work independently and use good judgment in identifying and executing solutions.
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
- Ability to travel
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume.
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check and verification of vaccination against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for any legally required accommodation.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.