Learning and Development Manager
Title: Learning and Development Manager
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
We are home to more than 60,000 scientists from 139 countries. As the Learning and Development Manager, you will be part of a dynamic association for Earth and space scientists who advance research, collaborate across disciplines, and communicate the importance and impact of science to society. AGU offers our members exciting opportunities through top-ranked scientific journals, scientific meetings and conferences, and other educational and scientific programs, to present and publish research, gain leadership experience, mentor, and freely exchange knowledge.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Learning and Development Manager does
The Learning and Development Manager position is key in assisting AGU to promote discovery in Earth and Space science for the benefit of humanity by being operational in focus. The Learning and Development Manager will lead the design/development, roll-out, and management of AGU’s continuing education and certification programs. This includes participating in the strategic planning process, developing business plans, conducting market research and validation, designing and testing product concepts, and delivering service offerings where AGU can uniquely deliver value. The incumbent will be responsible for establishing and achieving revenue and enrollment targets for the professional development programs within their portfolio. The Learning and Development Manager will report to the Assistant Director, Talent Pool, and will liaise with service providers, subject matter experts, and AGU staff units on a regular basis to ensure smooth program implementation and support.
* Designs, creates, and facilitates course development and certificate programs to meet the expressed needs of Earth and space scientists in areas specified in strategic plan.
* Develops business and implementation plans for product development and delivery in accord with strategies and established performance targets.
* Works with senior management to determine development and training strategy including revenue and enrollment targets.
* Develops materials, programs, and tools to support educational objectives in partnership with the Assistant Director, Talent Pool.
* Redesigns, customizes, and enhances existing education and training programs to build scientific skills and competencies in the Earth and space sciences.
* Conducts market research to identify and analyze opportunities for course development and delivery; create solutions consistent with business realities.
* Develops, maintains, and oversees vendor relationships including logistics, content development, delivery, and e-learning technology.
* Collects and analyzes appropriate data to gauge progress and to improve process performance, performs evaluations and recommends improvements at the product and program level
* Conducts periodic program reviews to ensure alignment of program objectives to outcomes.
* Develops and manages budgets.
* Other duties as assigned.
What the Learning and Development Manager brings to the team
* 6+ years with BS/BA; MS/MA is preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
* Professional certifications in education, talent development, etc. is a plus.
* Proven experience in marketing / business development.
* Experience with designing and delivering training and development and/or continuing education courses, including learning outcomes and instructional design required.
* Experience managing budgets, projects and resources.
* Experience managing contractor and vendor relationships.
* Experience integrating learning systems with online communities, membership databases and other association systems.
* Experience managing professional certification programs is highly desirable.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate easily and effectively with both internal and external audiences.
* Breadth of knowledge in training and development and/or continuing education.
* Basic knowledge of physical scientific methodologies and terminology is highly desirable.
* Demonstrated training facilitation skills (training, workshops, and group meetings).
* Strong public speaking skills.
* Strong demonstrated leadership skills including track record of managing projects from kickoff through completion, and budget control.
* Strong computer skills to include word processing and spreadsheet software.
* Excellent change management and presentation skills.
* Ability to facilitate meetings efficiently, effectively, and independently.
* Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
* Must be capable of exercising highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to https://rew12.ultipro.com/AME1056/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=283
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.